Thursday, November 5

Free Girls Petite Beret Pattern


When I began Shescrafty Knits over 7 years ago I was selling knitted baby hats, cardigans and booties that were hand knitted by my fine group of knitters here in New Zealand. One of the of the most popular hats was the Petite Beret which is now included in my baby pattern book Vintage Knits for Modern Babies. We have knit this cap in hundreds of color combinations over the years and the possibilities are endless. Since the Petite Beret pattern in my book go up to age 3, I thought I would include the pattern here for ages 4-8 years for those of you who's girls are growing up before your eyes.



Girls Petite Beret (ages 4-8)

Size

To fit girls age 4-8 years

Materials
*50g Ball of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino or other DK/semi worsted yarn.

*Yarn of choice for i-cord (fingering/4ply works best)

*1 Pair US 3 (3.25mm)knitting needles.
*1 Pair US 5 (3.75mm) knitting needles.
*2 double pointed needles US 5 (3.75mm)

Gauge

24sts and 32 rows to 4” (10cm) on larger needles in st st.

Cap

Using smaller needles, CO 90 sts loosley.

Work 8 rows in K1, P1 rib.

Change to 3.75mm (US 5) needles.

Next row: *(K1, inc) 15x; (k2, inc) 7x; k1 rep from * to end (156 sts).

Next Row: Purl

Work eyelet row as follows: K4, *yo, k2tog, k2, rep from * to end

Next Row: Purl

Work 14 rows of st st.

Shape Crown

1st row: K1, *K15, K2tog, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2

2nd and alt rows: P

3rd row: K1, *K14, K2tog, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2

5th row: K1, *K13, K2tog, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2

7th row: K1, *K12, K2tog, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2

Continue to decrease in this way on every following alt row until 21 sts remain.

Next row: Purl

Next Row: K1, K2tog 10 times.

Thread wool through remaining 11 sts and fasten off securely.

Make i-Cord

CO 3 sts using double pointed needles.

Knit, don't turn.

Slip the sts back to the beginning of the needle and k the row again.

Continue in this manner until you have a short length of knitting, pull down on the cord and the gap at the back will close.

Continue until the cord is the 30” (76cm).

Thread the yarn through the sts and pull firmly.


Finishing

Press fabric according to instructions on ball. Using back stitch, join seam.

Starting at the side towards the front, weave i-cord through eyelets and tie a bow at open end.

15 comments:

Sharon G said...

This is so cute!!!! I can't wait to cast on for my little girl!!! Thanks!!!

ily said...

Thanks for sharing this! I have been wanting to make a little hat for a friends little girl and now I'm half way there!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Purchased your book- LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Purchased your book- LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

thank you for posting this!! it looks super adorable! can i please ask whether you need to use circular needles to knit the cap (i.e. do you need to knit in the round)? i'm a beginner. thank you!

hadley said...

Hi, thanks for your comments. This pattern is knit on straight needles and is fairly easy for the beginning knitter. I can't wait to see your finished caps on Ravelry.com or the Vintage Knits for Modern Babies Flickr Group. Enjoy!

christina said...

Love this pattern and would like to try for my older daughter, age ten. Any hints on how to make it bigger?

hadley said...

I have not done it but I have heard that if you knit on one size bigger needles it should give you the extra size for a 10 year old. Also, I do sell and adult version on Etsy.

barbara said...

Hello Hadley
I just found your beautiful new book at Dymocks (in Melbourne) and of course brought it home with me. I think it is a classic, "keep-forever" knitting book and the photos are perfect - thank you for all your wonderful transformations of these dear old patterns, so similar to those my Mum and I made for my two sons, now 24 and 22. Yes, I've carefully washed and kept many of their dear little knits for their children to wear some day!

I'll really enjoy following your blog in the future, I must thank you too for your detailed post about Purl in New York and the lovely photo of the entrance - I dream of going there one day... but this was the next-best thing. I'm knitting a shawl in Noro wool for a friend in Germany tonight and also love to crochet.

Kjerste said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to make this! Where can I find the sweater pattern from the first picture?

Wendy said...

This is a super cute beret! I just finish one for my daughter and looks fabulous. Thank you so much for the pattern!

said...

Dear Hadley,

how lovely your work is, I just found you and I think I have to buy your book.

I would like to try your Beret but I must admit I don't understand your abbreviations. Does it mean K1 inc (knit one increase), K2 Inc (knit two increase) ?

Then this I don't get at all K4, *yo, k2tog, k2, rep from *
K1, *K14, K2tog, rep from *

I am so sorry for bothering you but my excuse is I'm german...

Thank you for your help, kind regrads Nina

said...

... thanks to translation websites I got it... it's called "Umschlag" in German, so I will go on and knit the Beret.

I will show you teh result, OK?

hadley said...

Sounds like I may need to have the patterns translated into German :) I love that knitting is the same in every country but can be approached so differently. That was one of my challenges with writing a US book in New Zealand. Subtle yet, very important differences!

said...

Thank you Hadley!

The beret has turned out so very sweet and my little girl is wearing it everyday!

Great you are back after your pause, will pay you a visit again more often!